Your future – your choice – your vote
Halesowen Town Centre was once a thriving business community but in recent years has faced a number of new challenges. This includes competition from larger shopping malls and online shopping. Halesowen is still regarded as one of the hidden gems of the Dudley Borough and has a wealth of history and character. An opportunity has arisen to revitalise the Town Centre in the form of a Halesowen BID. This would allow the town centre to become a Business Improvement District (BID) and as a community unlock the potential that the town has to offer.
What is the Halesowen BID?
A BID is an initiative run solely by local businesses. They join together and vote to make a collective contribution which can be used to deliver improvements to their area.
It would allow them to:
- Work together as local business owners and decide how we want to improve the area.
- Share ideas as a community on how to increase footfall and raise the number of visitors to the town.
- Ensure the BID levy money is wisely spent – unlike business rates which are paid to the Local Authority and part paid on to Central Government.
The next steps to the BID project:
- We will form a group of town centre businesses to attend monthly meetings throughout the development of the BID.
- We will develop a number of communications channels to ensure all business are aware of the latest news this will include: a website, regular newsletters and a magazine.
- There will be a development of the BID Constitution and financial appraisals.
“I urge you to join us in this project to rejuvenate Halesowen Town Centre. A BID will give us the means to make improvements to the town that will see the visitors return. Best of all it enables the local business owners to decide where the money is spent.”
Barry Wheeler, Halesowen Town BID Manager